How to: Absolutely SLAY the Resource Center

Hey guys.

Anyone who’s ever been on a call with me knows I LOVE the Resource Center.

Like, truly, deeply love.

Why? Because even though I work in user engagement and onboarding, I’m still a product of the Early Internet. You know, the days when the internet was the wild west and one had to field a never-ending barrage of pop-ups that would literally bury whatever webpage you were trying to visit.

As a result of that trauma, I have to fight the urge to immediately close any window that pops up on my screen without my consent.

What that translates to is that I represent a particular kind of user; one that is more explorative, a self-starter and decidedly DIY (do-it-yourself). I don’t like to be taught so much as I like to learn on my own. I like to see if I can figure out a new product rather than be taught how to use it. And I know I don’t exist in a vacuum- there are a lot of users just like me.

So what I’d like to do is give you guys a few ideas of different ways you can set up the Resource Center so you never have to worry about your users not having the info they need, when they need it, where they need it.

Read on, my friends.

The first step here is to think about your users’ needs. It helps to speak to the members of your team who are on the front lines with the customers here- you need to know what help/information the users are asking for on a regular basis so you can anticipate those needs.

In my experience these questions will fall into one of two categories: general help and feature/page specific help.

The Resource Center has a way of dealing with both of these. And, there are nuances to each category that we can account for. Let me explain.

First up- General Help

You know, the kinds of questions your users ask about the product all. the. time.

We want to make sure they can find an easy-to-follow, interactive walkthrough no matter which page they’re on.

When you go to add an experience to your Resource Center, you will be faced with two options:

With this first option selected you will cement this experience’s place in your Resource Center. You’ll have to provide a routing URL for where you want your experience to trigger.

Since this first option includes a re-route, you’ll want to use this for feature-specific general help that needs to live on a certain page of your app.

General Help with a twist
If your general help is homeless, and can live/be shown absolutely anywhere, just make sure it is set to trigger on all pages and then use the page-specific option- this way the experience will show in the Resource center on all pages, but the user will NOT be rerouted when they select it. I think this could be a really creative way to provide help videos/documents to your users. All you have to do is embed each one into a modal of its own- the possibilities are endless here- you can then set these videos/docs to trigger from the RC, from native tooltips, from checklists, other experiences- literally anywhere you want.

When you’ve added your header and caption you can go ahead and click “Edit Experience” and you’re done!

Next Up: Feature/Page Specific help

Remember that page-specific setting I mentioned above? Well things get really spicy when you use it with experiences that are, in fact, not homeless. Using this setting allows the Resource Center to follow the page settings of the experience itself, only showing it to your users when they happen to be on the page where that experience is useful. Take a look at this example. This is my Resource Center on the dashboard of my fake platform, SamanthaLand :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now look at it when I navigate to the inbox page:

I suddenly have new content appear! This is a brilliant way to make your Resource Center dynamic, uncluttered and highly contextual to your users.

Honestly, you’ll probably want to use this option as often as possible. Any chance you have to reduce friction during the onboarding experience should obviously taken- users can be notoriously impatient and will not want to scroll through a cluttered, overloaded Resource Center.